- Lena R. Liberman
- On February 7, 2020
I want to start out this week’s ICYMI News for Amazon Sellers with some important news that doesn’t just affect Amazon sellers or buyers, but touches every facet of commerce today. Let’s talk about coronavirus and what it means not just for health, but for travel, sourcing, manufacturing, importing, networking, prices, inventory, and everything else you can imagine having to do with the production and sales of goods. Yes, that is how critical China is and just how vulnerable commerce becomes when China is destabilized. Between tariffs and coronavirus, you cannot rely solely on China right now.
So what can you do? I recommend that you read our recent post, Beyond China: Sourcing & Manufacturing Alternatives to Alibaba and Canton Fair. Info contained within this post just got even hotter with Canton Fair suspended (more on that below).
As an Amazon seller (or any eCommerce entrepreneur), you have some decisions to make right now and this article can help you navigate business beyond being entirely China dependent. This is a good thing regardless of tariffs or coronavirus. Now is the time and I hope you get lots of ideas and understand your non-China options for taking care of your eCommerce business. Be smart, stay safe, expand and diversify.
This Week’s Top Story: China Focus: Coronavirus Effects on Amazon and eCommerce
- China’s Canton Fair Suspends Activities Due to Virus Outbreak
- Lifeblood of Amazon Merchants Threatened as Coronavirus Infects Chinese Workers
- Investigation Launched into Retailer of “Coronavirus Face Masks” Sold via Amazon
Additional Industry Worries and Concerns
- Amazon’s Third-Party Marketplace Faces Fresh Regulatory Headwinds
- Amazon’s Environmental Impact Delivers Climate Change Concerns
Amazon Growth (and Growth for Brands and 3P Sellers on Amazon)
- Amazon’s US Workforce Surpasses 500,000
- Amazon’s Ad Sales Surge 41% to Record $4.8B
- Amazon Finally Closes Above $1 Trillion After Months of Flirting
- These 3 Numbers Explain Why Amazon Is Dominating Everything Right Now
- Amazon Third-Party Revenue Soars
- Amazon Announces That Sales Are Up 21%
- Amazon Business Grows Faster Than Amazon Itself
- Amazon Invested $15 Billion and Launched 225 New Tools and Services in 2019 to Help Worldwide Third-Party Sellers — Mostly Small and Medium-Sized Businesses — Grow and Thrive
Amazon Advertising Continues to Blow Away All Expectations
- ”Increasingly an Awareness Platform”: Amazon Advertising Is Moving Beyond Search
- Spending Grows 44% for Amazon DSP
- How to Use Amazon’s Product Display Ads
- 5 Brands That Saw a Boost on Amazon Following Super Bowl
- Amazon Seeks Deeper Brand Relationships to Grow Advertising Business
- As you can see, Amazon Advertising is EVERYTHING right now. Eliminate wasted ad spend, run intelligent PPC campaigns, and secure more top placements with Ignite for Amazon Advertising. Get Ignite and the full array of Seller Labs Amazon tools (Ignite, Feedback Genius, Scope, and Quantify) all in one Pro suite FREE for 30 days!
- Want more Amazon Advertising power? Join us for TACoS Tuesday: A Big Serving of the Amazon Advertising Data That Really Matters, an expert-led webinar on Tuesday, Feb 18, 2020 and 2:00 PM EST/11:00 AM PST.
- Amazon’s One-Day Shipping Could Improve Margins in the Long Run
- Reading Amazon’s Mind: Subtle Changes in Annual Report Hint at Tech Giant’s Strategies and Plans
- Amazon’s End Game
- Amazon Escalates the Grab-and-Go War
- White House Adviser Accuses Amazon’s Jeff Bezos of Backing Out of Meeting on Fake Products
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos Rebukes White House Adviser with “Seinfeld” Meme, Offers “Serenity Now” Button
Miscellaneous News and Opinions for Amazon Sellers
- UPS and Amazon: Made for Each Other?
- Amazon Could Be Vulnerable to Competition, and This Is How
- 3 Reasons D-to-C Brands Should Say “Yes” to Amazon
- Would You Write a 5-Star Amazon Review in Return for a $20 Bribe?
- Amazon Paid a 1.2% Tax Rate on $13,285,000,000 in Profit for 2019 (Well, it’s better than the usual 0% Amazon pays.)
Amazon News, Updates, and Policy Changes for Sellers
- February 15, 2020: Fulfillment by Amazon’s next scheduled long-term storage fee inventory cleanup. For details, see FBA long-term storage fees and Last-Minute Strategies to Beat Amazon Long-Term Storage Fees.
- Effective February 18, 2020: US FBA and Referral Fee Changes.
- Join us at The Prosper Show in Las Vegas on March 23-25, 2020. Our own Jeff Cohen will be presenting. Use code EXIV817902 to save $100 on your ticket.
- Our annual non-conference conference, Resonate 2020, is in Atlanta on September 15-16, 2020.
- Learn how to maximize these events with Trade Show Tips: How to Get the Most from Conferences, Expos, and Shows