- Lena R. Liberman
- On September 14, 2018
- 0 Comments
- Amazon, Amazon advertising, Amazon Prime, counterfeits/fakes, feedback genius, ignite, news, ppc, sponsored products, Whole Foods/grocery
This week’s ICYMI Amazon News Round-Up is a beast. I apologize in advance for inundating you with so much news and commentary, but there is simply so much going on and the last two weeks’ posts merited special editions that were each singularly focused. This week, ICYMI sort of returns to normal in that it’s not limited to one particular Amazon-related issue . . . but it is a beast as I said. I know your time is tight so I’ve tried to organize things so that you can read as much or as little about the Amazon news of most interest to you. Have a great weekend.
If You Read About One ICYMI Topic This Week, Make It Amazon Advertising
- Amazon Is Stuffing Its Search Results Pages with Ads (This is a massively important piece of infographic journalism. It’s bold and fresh and compelling, it’s gotten a lot of attention, and the implications are serious.)
- Search on Amazon Has Turned into a Sponsors’ Arms Race
- Gartner L2: As Amazon Ad Budgets Grow, Leading Brands Use More Nuanced Strategies
Did you read that last article? Please do. I can’t recommend it enough. Actually, all of the above are must-reads for Amazon sellers and brands selling and advertising on Amazon.
Specifically, in that last article, it comes across loud and clear that it is not enough to simply be advertising on Amazon, you have to do it better and smarter than the competition. We have touched on this many times and the ways in which our Ignite software delivers the Amazon Advertising advantage, but yes, that is how important this is and how competitive the environment has become.
A few things that really stood out to me from that third article:
- “As Amazon’s ad business continues to grow, the company has created new opportunities and features to streamline advertising on the platform, including rebranding its headline search ads and sponsored products as ‘Amazon Advertising.’”
- All Amazon sellers and brand owners and advertising managers need to get hip to these changes. You can do that by kicking it ICYMI style with last week’s Special Edition: Amazon Advertising Consolidation.
- “But, as the Marin Software poll reveals, more than two-thirds of brands are still not advertising on Amazon, with most saying they’re unsure of how the company’s offerings work.”
- This tells me two things:
- With more than two-thirds of brands NOT advertising on Amazon, the field is wide open. While it’s competitive for sure, there is SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY HERE. So, if you are already a brand advertising on Amazon, go hard while there’s still a lot of room. And if you are a brand NOT advertising on Amazon, you need to rectify that ASAP and get in the game.
- As for those brands not advertising on Amazon, most say that it’s because they don’t understand Amazon Advertising. That pains me and it tells me that Amazon and companies like Seller Labs need to do a better job educating sellers and brand owners. I can’t speak for Amazon, but on behalf of Seller Labs, if you feel as if you can’t participate in Amazon Advertising because you don’t understand the offerings and options, we are happy to help you. Start with the videos at Amazon Sponsored Product Ads: What You Need to Know, our free Mastering Amazon PPC eBook (second edition coming soon), and a look at the all-new Ignite 2.0 Amazon Advertising solution complete with super-informative demo and tour. If you still have questions, contact us.
- This tells me two things:
- “As Amazon ad budgets grow, Gartner L2 recommends brands take a more nuanced approach, turning campaigns on and off as bidding competition and consumer spending demands.”
- To this I can only say, GET IT! And by getting it, I mean get yourself Amazon Advertising software that literally does this “turning campaigns on and off” for you. Seller Central can’t do it, most third-party apps can’t do it, but Ignite does it easily via automatic Ad Scheduling (AKA Dayparting). That turning on/turning off of campaigns is so important and it doesn’t have to be done manually and laboriously. With Ignite, you can set which days and which hours you want your ads to run (and by the same token, which days and hours you don’t want your ads to run). It’s a high-impact sales-driving, CPC-lowering budget stretcher if every there were one. And it’s just one of Ignite’s many unique offerings. Try for yourself with a free 30-day trial of Ignite.
The Amazon Seller Experience
- Amazon Seeks Brand New Products from Sellers
- For Some Small Sellers, Amazon Loses Its Luster
- A Recent Shift From Amazon Retail Has Brands Scrambling. What’s Next for Sellers?
Big-Picture Retail and Economics: The Amazon Effect
- ‘Amazon Effect’ Could Have Impact on Inflation Dynamics
- Under ‘Amazon Effect’ Retailers Could Be More Exposed to Supply Shocks
- Amazon Is Successful Because of These Two Things
- Amazon Loves Being a Shopping Research Tool
- Amazon’s Market Value Tops $1 Trillion
- 7 Markets That Could Help Amazon Justify a $1 Trillion Valuation
- How Amazon Gets to $2 Trillion
- Now That Amazon Has Joined the $1 Trillion Club, Can Anything Stop Its Massive Growth?
- Amazon to Take 50% of US e-Commerce Share by 2023
- Why the Amazon of the Future Could Be Much More Profitable Than It Is Today
Amazon’s Reputation (and Reputation Management Problem)
- Amazon’s Reputation Is Taking a Beating from All Sides. Here’s What a Reputation Expert Says It Should Do to Turn Things Around.
- The Most Recent Round of Amazon Criticisms Reveals How the Company Has Taken Walmart’s Spot as a Symbol for Everything Wrong with American Big Business
- Amazon’s Patent for Caging Workers Was “Bad” Idea, Exec Admits
- Missing Wages, Grueling Shifts, and Bottles of Urine: The Disturbing Accounts of Amazon Delivery Drivers May Reveal the True Human Cost of ‘Free’ Shipping
- More Than 200 Delivery Drivers Are Suing Amazon Over Claims of Missing Wages
Need help managing your reputation on Amazon (or hey, maybe you need help and you ARE Amazon)? We’ve got you covered with Feedback Genius! Don’t be fooled by review scammers who promise quick fixes, and don’t fall afoul of Amazon’s strict guidelines about feedback. Do it right and you’ll get positive reviews and feedback, but more so, you’ll build relationships with customers and create loyalty, repeat purchases, and word-of-mouth social proof that your brand is the jam. Start your free 30-day trial today and turn your reputation around from a liability into an asset.
Growth Focus: Amazon Business
- Amazon Business Tops $10 Billion Annual Revenue Run Rate
- Amazon Makes Good on Business-to-Business Threat
- Amazon Business on Track to Hit $25B by 2021, Analyst Estimates
- This Is Amazon’s Fastest-Growing Business Ever
- Amazon Prime Subscribers Will More Than Double to 275 Million in the Next Decade, Citi Says
- Amazon Expands Its Kids’ Subscription Box Service In a Big Way
- Canada: Amazon Begins to Offer Monthly Subscription Service to Prime
- Are Walmart and Amazon Playing the Same Game?
- Walmart Relaunches Jet with Three-Hour Deliveries to Take on Amazon Prime Now
- Why Best Buy Remains Relevant In The Age of Amazon
Niche Focus: Fashion and Apparel
- Amazon to Beat Walmart in Apparel by Year-End
- Trademarks Reveal More Amazon Apparel Labels on the Horizon
- J.Crew Alters Amazon Approach, Will Sell Some Items on the Site
- J.Crew Selling On Amazon: Right Strategy, Wrong Execution
Tightening the Belt
Fulfillment, Packing, Shipping, Delivery, and General Logistics
- Amazon’s Massive Distribution Network in One Giant Visualization
- Amazon Is 20,000 Vans Closer to Its Own Delivery Fleet
- UPS Launches Ware2Go – A Response to Amazon FBA Onsite?
All Things Taxes
- That Ship Already Sailed: The Ruling On Online State Sales Tax Won’t Actually Change Much
- How Amazon and eBay Became a Tax Haven for Chinese Sellers
- Amazon Is Under Attack for Seeking Tax Break in Exchange for HQ2
Amazon, Politics, Government, and Power: The Bernie Edition
- Amazon-Bernie Sanders Feud Exposes a Real Issue
- Bernie Sanders Introduces ‘Stop BEZOS’ Bill (Oh, Bernie, you are so clever!)
- Why Amazon Is Responding to Bernie Sanders’ Criticism While Ignoring Trump
- Bernie Sanders’ Debate with Amazon Probably Won’t Be Settled by a Warehouse Tour
The Ongoing War with Google
- Amazon Now Dominates Google in Product Search
- Amazon Pushes Past Google for Product Search
- Amazon Gaining on Google, But Overall Growth Plateaus
Acquisitions, Expansions, Partnerships, and Collaborations
- The Party City Party Moves to Amazon.com
- Amazon Deepens Its Partnership with VMware to Go After Companies That Don’t Use the Cloud
Whole Foods and Grocery
- Amazon Adds Whole Foods Delivery to 10 New Markets
- Price of a Whole Foods Basket of Groceries Has Barely Budged Since Amazon Took Over
Alexa and Echo Devices
- Why Aren’t More People Using Alexa to Shop? It May Be Because We Love to Price Compare
- Former NSA Privacy Expert: Here’s How Likely It Is That Your Amazon Echo Will Be Hacked
- Here’s What People Actually Use Their Amazon Echo and Other Smart Speakers for
Scams, Swindles, Fakes, Frauds, Counterfeits
The Bezos Beat
- Jeff Bezos Could Buy All of Amazon’s Inventory, and Then Buy All of Boeing’s and Walmart’s Too
- Bezos Unbound: Exclusive Interview With The Amazon Founder On What He Plans To Conquer Next
- Silicon Valley’s New Superhero Is Amazon’s Jeff Bezos
- Bezos Targets Homeless Families, Under-Served Preschoolers with $2 Billion Fund, but Details Are Few
- Jeff Bezos Is Donating Money to Fix a Problem His Company Perpetuates