This Week’s Focus: Counterfeits, Fakes, Frauds, and Concerns About China
Breaking with ICYMI convention, I want to recommend spending 22 minutes listening to Planet Money Episode 900: The Stolen Company. This Podcast episode is a fascinating (and frightening but also hopeful) look into brand ownership, intellectual property, globalism, commerce, confrontation at the Canton Fair, and China’s counterfeit culture. I think it’s a must-listen for any brand stakeholders, especially for Amazon sellers. Cue it up while you cook supper or enjoy a glass of wine this weekend.
Brief description: “Tim Demarais works for an American company called ABRO. The brand is a big deal in many foreign countries . . . But back in 2002, ABRO’s sales started to dip. Tim heard from a customer that counterfeit ABRO goods in China might be causing the problem. So, he flew over to investigate. What he discovered — the extent of the fraud — was shocking. And even more surprising, the company posing as ABRO insisted they were the real ABRO. Today on the show, it’s real ABRO vs. fake ABRO.” Give it a listen here.
More on Fakes: Shark Tank or Counterfeit Incubator?
- Small Businesses Say Amazon Has a Huge Counterfeiting Problem. This ‘Shark Tank’ Company Is Fighting Back.
- Couple Makes It to Shark Tank with Invention to Later Find Knock-Off Products Selling on Amazon
Brand News and Private Label
- With Private Brands, Amazon Plays the Long Game
- Are Amazon’s Private Labels Falling Short or Just Getting Started?
- Amazon Just Launched Its First Skin-Care Line — & Everything Is Under $40
Amazon Examined and Assessed and Anticipated
- Amazon (sub)Prime? (Part 1 available now, Part 2 forthcoming, free registration may be required)
- 74% of Consumers Go to Amazon When They’re Ready to Buy Something. That Should Be Keeping Retailers Up at Night
- A ‘Cutthroat Market’: Amazon Wants to Reach Lower-Income Customers
- There’s a Business Growing Within Amazon That Could One Day Be Worth More Than Retail or Cloud (Spoiler alert: that business is Amazon Business, the Amazon B2B effort.)
- Amazon Pay Inks Worldpay Integration as It Branches Out in the Wider World of e-Commerce
- Amazon Is Aggressively Blocking Ads for Unprofitable Products As Part of a Plan to Bolster Its Bottom Line
- Amazon Is Blocking Ads for Products That Lose Money
- Amazon Will Soon Launch Mobile Ads in Search Results
- Amazon to Launch Mobile Ads, in a Threat to Google and Facebook
Bricks and Mortar
- Retailers Should Be Wary — Amazon.com Is Closing All Its Pop-Up Stores
- San Francisco Could Ban Amazon’s Cashier-Free Stores
Opportunities for Amazon Sellers
- PROMO: Monthly storage and removal fee promotion for new ASINs. From March 18 – September 30, 2019, Fulfillment by Amazon will waive monthly storage and removal fees for the first 50 units per ASIN for up to 100 new-to-Amazon ASINs created by participating sellers in eligible product categories. Read more.
- UPCOMING WEBINAR: “Reclaim Time & Increase Profits with Expert PPC Management on Your Side” Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 2:00 P.M. EDT. Is outsourcing Amazon Advertising right for you? In this webinar, you’ll learn how Seller Labs experts can free you up to grow your business while enjoying the kind of Amazon Advertising success that builds brands. Our Seller Labs Managed Services hosts will share some of our customers’ success stories, and at the end of the session, you can request your own scorecard! Register here.
- WEBINAR REPLAY: If you missed “Scale Your Amazon Business: Advertise Smarter Using Ignite” on March 12, you can still benefit! Catch the replay here to see Amazon Advertising expert Bret Darby and Ignite Product Manager Dan Crittenden share tons of stats, info, and winning tips for how to supercharge your Amazon ad campaigns.
- SELLER LABS EVENTS: Resonate Returns! There’s no shortage of Amazon-related conferences in the space, but there is a dearth of fresh thought and original content. Seller Labs’ annual Resonate event fills that void with all sorts of advanced knowledge and thought leadership you won’t find anywhere else. Join us May 7-8 in Atlanta for Resonate 2019. The agenda is tops, the thinking is out of the box, the content is original, and the networking opportunities are unparalleled. SPECIAL OFFER FOR ICYMI READERS: Grab your tickets now and use promo code ICYMI to save $100 per ticket!