- Lena R. Liberman
- On November 22, 2019
Amazon Policy Brouhaha: Communication Breakdown
After a confusing semi-publicized semi-refresh of buyer-seller messaging guidelines, Amazon now states that “We would like to clarify that Amazon’s Buyer-Seller Messaging policies have not changed. Sellers have told us in the past that the policy page was confusing so we have refreshed the language to make it clearer. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and hope the refreshed language is helpful. We wish you continued success selling on Amazon. The key clarifications are available for review at Clarification to Communication Guidelines.” (This is a biggie in terms of buyer-seller messaging, product inserts, and asking for reviews and feedback.)
Amazon Seller Opportunities, News, and To-Do’s
- Just in Time for the Holidays, a Chance to Save on Shipping: According to Amazon, “UPS has decreased rates on UPS® shipping services for sellers who purchase and pay for UPS shipping labels on Amazon’s Buy Shipping platform. Avail reduced UPS 2nd Day Air rates to increase your Prime shipping coverage and utilize UPS Ground rates for regional Prime and standard orders.” Check Amazon’s Buy Shipping Through Seller Central page.
- Finish 2019 in Good Standing and Start 2020 on the Right Foot: Set Up Your Tax Calculation Service: Amazon says, “Completing your tax calculation settings will help ensure you are ready to fulfill your tax obligations. To help you and your tax professional identify your tax obligation, you should consider the services you use with Amazon and if your inventory is fulfilled by Amazon, yourself, or both. Your location as a seller and any other business functions you perform are also important to consider.” More here.
- Out with the Old! December 15: Fulfillment by Amazon’s next scheduled long-term storage fee inventory cleanup. More about FBA long-term storage fees.
- Amazon Rolls Out New Posts Program in Beta: According to Amazon, “Posts is a new browse and discovery experience on Amazon focused on brand-shopping. Posts help shoppers discover new products and see what’s new from brands by browsing feeds of brand-curated content. Posts link to product detail pages, making each post in a feed shoppable, and each post includes category tags so shoppers can continue exploring posts in related categories.” More about Amazon Posts.
This Week’s Big Reveal: Amazon’s Private Label Suppliers . . .
Amazon Publishes List of More Than 1K Private Label Suppliers. But it’s a little hidden, so here’s a direct link to the list of Amazon’s PL suppliers.
. . . Which Ties In to This Week’s Scary (But Not Surprising) Amazon Story: Antitrust and Data Use and Potential Abuse . . .
- Amazon Admits to Congress That It Uses “Aggregated” Data from Third-Party Sellers to Come Up with Its Own Products
- Amazon Uses Aggregated Seller Data to Help Business, It Tells Lawmakers
- Amazon Says It Uses Third-Party Seller Data To Boost Business
- Amazon Antitrust Complaint Lodged in U.S. Gets Attention in EU
- Amazon Addresses Some Seller Concerns, Ignores Others In Antitrust Inquiry
- Full text of “Responses to Questions for the Record following the July 16, 2019, Hearing of the Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial, and Administrative Law, Committee on the Judiciary, Entitled ‘Online Platforms and Market Power, Part 2: Innovation and Entrepreneurship.’” (It’s actually worth a read or at least a skim.)
- Just in time for this: Amazon Brings Third-Party Data Access to AWS Marketplace
. . . Which Dovetails with Amazon’s Woes with Footwear Brands
- Nike’s Breakup with Amazon Is a Lose-Lose Situation for Everyone — Including You
- Nike Just “Tip of the Iceberg” of Companies Ditching Amazon and Selling Directly to Consumers
- Target Earnings Preview: Nike Could Partner with Target Now That It Has Ended Sales on Amazon
- Allbirds Co-Founder: Amazon’s Lookalike Shoe Undermines Our Sustainability Efforts
- Allbirds Cofounder Calls Out Amazon for Its Knockoff Shoes That Cost Way Less, Calling Them “Algorithmically Inspired”’
- Amazon Beefs Up Its Display Business
- Amazon Makes Its Music Streaming Service Free with Ads
- Here’s How Walmart’s Self-Service Ad Platform Stacks Up Against Amazon’s
Shipping, Delivery, and Logistics
- Amazon Wants to Ship You Anything in 30 minutes. It’s Going to Need a Lot of Robots.
- Forgot to Pack Something? Amazon Prime Delivers Ever Faster for Travelers in a Bind.
- Why So Many eCommerce Providers Are Building Their Own Fulfillment Networks
- 3PL Providers Continue to Strategize on How to Work With or Against Amazon
Amazon Expansions, Launches, and Rollouts
- Amazon Rolls Out “Amazon Pharmacy” Branding to PillPack
- Salesforce and Amazon Web Services (AWS) Expand Global Strategic Partnership
- How Serious a Threat Is Amazon’s New Grocery Store?
- Here’s the Biggest Problem with Amazon’s New Supermarket Chain
- Amazon Launches a Dash Smart Shelf for Businesses That Automatically Restocks Supplies
Fakes and Frauds on the Amazon Marketplace
- Her Amazon Purchases Are Real. The Reviews Are Fake.
- How Amazon’s Counterfeit Problem Reached a Bird Feeder Manufacturer in Rhode Island
- Amazon’s Booming Counterfeit Business Raises the Risk That Regulators Will Crack Down. Good.
Seller Labs News
Seller Labs has been named to Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500™. Thanks to all who have helped us become one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America!