- Lena R. Liberman
- On November 8, 2019
- 0 Comments
This week’s In Case You Missed It is a beast. So. Much. Amazon. Seller. News. Let’s start with what hits hardest and closest to home: changes to Amazon’s terms of service and policies. There’s a whole lot of changes rolling out this month and announced just this week. Educate yourself now before you have to pay later.
Amazon Policy Changes
- Effective Immediately: Seller’s Response to Return Requests Required Within 48 Hours: Amazon has updated its A-to-z Guarantee claim policy. From Amazon: “To help you avoid any potential or unnecessary A-to-z Guarantee claims, we ensure that customers first submit a return request in the Online Return Center and wait 48 hours for your response prior to being eligible to file a claim. We will now also require that you provide a response to this return request. You can see your outstanding return requests on the Manage Returns page in Seller Central. In the event that a customer files a claim and you have not provided any response to the return request within 48 hours, we will grant the claim and debit your account for the claim amount.” More here.
- Effective November 15: Changes to Return and Refund Process for Seller Fulfilled Orders: If you are fulfilling customer orders in the US from outside the US, you must provide Amazon a valid US return address for items under $10. Amazon will use this address to generate prepaid return labels for customers on eligible return requests. More here.
- Effective November 22: Change to Amazon Vine Terms and Conditions: Amazon is adding the Vine Terms and Conditions to the Program Policies page. You can access a copy here.
‘Tis Almost the Season: Q4/Holiday News
- Amazon Is Dominating the Holiday Price War
- Nearly Half of Consumers Will Buy Holiday Gifts on Amazon
- US Holiday Sales to Cross $1 Trillion for First Time
- Amazon’s Getting Aggressive This Holiday Season
- The Holiday Home Stretch: 5 Priorities for Every Amazon Seller in Nov & Dec 2019
Selling Better on Amazon: Tips from the Seller Labs Team
- Amp Up Your Amazon Product Listings: Add 360-Degree Images and Livestreams
- 4 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Seller Labs Pro
- Maximize Q4 Profitability: Optimize Amazon Advertising for the Holidays
Opinions on Amazon
- Is Amazon Starting to Fall Out of Favor with American Consumers?
- Personalization Has Failed Us: Curation by Algorithm Hasn’t Lived Up to Expectations.
- Amazon: Past Its Prime
- Shopify, on a Quest to Be the Anti-Amazon, Now Has 1 Million Businesses
- Walmart Appears to Be Gaining Ground Against Amazon
Amazon International Expansion
- Amazon Business Launches in Canada
- Amazon Netherlands Launch Rumoured for Q1 2020
- Is an Amazon Israel Marketplace in the Offing?
- Amazon Is Catching Up to Google in Search-Based Ads
- Amazon Approaches $10 Billion in US Net Digital Ad Revenues This Year
- What’s Behind Amazon’s Accelerating Ad Revenue
- Seller Labs Success Story: Seasonal Amazon Advertising Strategy Delivers 147% Halloween Ad Sales Increase Over Previous Year
This Week’s Amazon Missteps
- Amazon Mixes Up an Email Address and Makes Return Impossible, Customer Says
- Amazon Reverses Sudden Restriction of Third-Party “Nintendo Product“ Sales [Updated]
- Suspended Amazon Sellers Are Being Stifled by an Email Glitch as Holidays Loom
Amazon Prime Shipping and Delivery
- Amazon Announces Fast, Free and Convenient Delivery Options this Holiday Season (Amazon Press Release)
- Amazon’s Rising Air Shipments Fly in the Face of Climate Plan
Alexa and Echo
- Amazon’s Alexa May Have Witnessed Alleged Florida Murder, Authorities Say
- Amazon Is Poorly Vetting Alexa’s User-Submitted Answers
Amazon Stats, History, and Reference
- Number of Amazon Sellers Offering Prime Up 50% in Three Years
- A Very Brief History of Amazon: the Everything Store
- Connecting Thread Of Struggling Retailers In Shadow Of Amazon’s Growth
- How Amazon Does It: Decision Making Inside The World’s Most Daring Digital Company
- Amazon Is Responsible for Most Big Tech Job Growth Since 2000
- What an Amazon Fulfillment Center Tour Reveals
And Everybody’s Favorite Topic: Taxes
- California Hits Philly-Area Amazon Seller with $1.6 Million Sales-Tax Bill
- Overview of Amazon’s North America Tax Calculation Service: Amazon’s Tax Calculation Service is available to professional sellers who have an obligation to calculate Taxes on their orders in the United States and Canada, respectively. The service enables you to add tax registration numbers, classify taxability for each of your products, accept buyer exemptions, and calculate tax on products when they are destined to a US State or Canadian Province that you have registered and set up to calculate taxes. Tax Calculation Service is not currently available for Mexico. More info here.
- Quebec Sales Tax to Be Charged to Quebec-Based Sellers by Amazon on Selling on Amazon Fees and Amazon Advertising Fees. This looks complicated, so if you’re Québécois and you think it applies to you, read more here.
- How Will Amazon Use Your Settings to Calculate Tax? Per Amazon, “Amazon will use your jurisdiction settings + product tax code assignment, Amazon’s Tax Methodology, and the order destination to determine the most appropriate tax calculation for products on an order. Our Tax Calculation Methodology considers many order details when making a tax calculation . . . Review Amazon’s Tax Methodology to learn more about how tax will be calculated on your orders.”