- Lena R. Liberman
- On August 30, 2019
Happy Labor Day weekend! Before you sleep in or hit the park or fire up the grill, get your Amazon seller news and go into the long weekend in the know.
Amazon Seller News: This Week’s Big Story
That Wall Street Journal Article: Amazon Has Ceded Control of Its Site. The Result: Thousands of Banned, Unsafe or Mislabeled Products. (Suggestion: Open in an Incognito/Private window/tab if you have trouble accessing the full article.) This was such a big story that it spawned a lot of reaction stories. Here are some that you might want to check out if you can’t access the WSJ or the article seems TLDR:
- Hundreds of “Banned” Goods Still for Sale on Amazon, Report Finds
- US Senators Call on Amazon to Investigate Its Unsafe Inventory
- Amazon a Thriving Market for Banned, Unsafe and Mislabeled Products
- Amazon Ripped Over Product Safety Concerns (This one’s courtesy of the Bezos-owned Washington Post, which adds an interesting layer.)
- For Amazon, Unsafe Products Highlight a Growing Marketplace Problem
- Amazon’s Sales Platform May Be Too Big to Police
- And as you might expect, a story so big (and accusatory) warranted an official response from Amazon: Product Safety and Compliance In Our Store.
Speaking of “Banned and Unsafe Products” . . .
This dovetails with general 3P liability and the ongoing question of “Who’s the seller here?” You you may want to double back to Amazon Product Liability Insurance: Don’t Take Chances, Protect Your Business for some info and resources.
The topic of seller liability has really picked up momentum as the courts agree to re-hear some of the most-recent cases (think hoverboards and retractable dog leashes):
- Amazon Gets Another Go-Around in Case Over its Status as “Seller” of Marketplace Products
- Amazon’s Liability for Defective Products Sold by 3rd Parties to Get Another Look
- Amazon Pushes to Undo New Jersey Hoverboard Liability Ruling
- Amazon: Advertising Strong Future Growth
- Amazon’s Fast-Growing Ad Business Is Stepping Up Its Video Exposure
- Welcome to a Quicker, More Productive Amazon Advertising Experience with Ignite
- Prioritize Your Amazon Advertising Budget and Product Promotion Efforts with Quantify’s Inventory & Financials Promote Report
Fakes, Frauds, Counterfeits, Scams, and So Many Bad Actors
- Hijacked Reviews on Amazon Can Trick Shoppers
- Review Fraud: Hijacked Amazon Reviews a Big Problem Says Consumer Reports
- Even Amazon’s Own Products Are Getting Hijacked by Imposter Sellers
- This is messy and frightening. Educate yourself with the webinar replay of In a World of Amazon Black-Hat Tactics, Don’t Let the Bad Guys In or Let Them Win and download your free copy of Understanding Amazon Black-Hat Tactics: Your Terminology Guide.
Amazon’s Questionable Tactics and the Effect on Its Reputation
- Is Amazon Getting Too Greedy?
- Unfulfilled at the Amazon Tour
- Amazon Investing More Than $15 Billion In Third Party Sellers, But Is It Enough To Protect Its Reputation?
- Aggressive Amazon Tactic Pushes You to Consider Its Own Brand Before You Click ‘Buy’
- Amazon Seeks More Third-Party Price Control
- How’s your reputation on Amazon these days? Learn how to get legit, valuable, ToS-compliant social proof with Amazon Product Reviews: They’re As Relevant As Ever—Learn How to Ask for Them. Want more advice on solidifying your reputation and delighting buyers while selling more? Read Building a Brand in the Amazon Marketplace: Be Where Your Customers Are.
- [Checklist] Amazon New Product Launch Checklist
- Post-Product Launch Metrics to Watch Using the Scope Amazon Keywords Tool
- Building a Retail-Ready Amazon Sales Strategy Going Into Q4
- There’s still time to register for next week’s webinar, The Next-Level Amazon Product Launch Plan on Tuesday, September 5, 2019 @ 2:00 P.M. EDT.