- Cory Checketts
- On September 19, 2016
- 16 Comments
- resource video
Did you know there are 15 different ways you can make money with Amazon? Seriously. And method number 15 is probably the easiest and more risk-averse of them all. It’s called Merch by Amazon—as in Merchandise. Amazon has made print-on-demand T-shirts easier and cheaper than ever.
Merch by Amazon was originally designed as a platform for mobile video game developers to offer T-shirts with their logo to fans while playing games. The platform has expanded beyond developers, but everyone has to request an invitation to get started. Use an active Amazon account, personal or business, to request an invite to the program. Best of all, every Merch by Amazon account is separate from Seller Central.
How Can You Make Money?
Simple. Merch by Amazon members are paid based off of artwork royalties for each shirt printed.
Here’s how it works
- Once your request has been accepted, you can create your T-shirt listing.
- Upload your original artwork into the system as a PNG file. The PNG file dimensions need to be 4500 x 5400 pixels at 300 PPI (points per inch) with sRBG colors and no greater than 25MB in size. View artwork guidelines here.
- Choose what T-shirt colors you want available for printing as well as the T-shirt type—Anvil or American Apparel.
- Write a simple, descriptive title. You can add a description, too, for added keyword density.
- Set a price. This is important because Amazon takes $9.31 from each shirt printed (not including an extra $4 for two-sided printing and $1.50 for American Apparel T-shirts). For a one-sided print on an Anvil T-shirt sold at $19.99, you would make a royalty of $7.68 per shirt. Not too bad considering it only cost you the time to create the artwork for the shirt.
Benefits of Merch by Amazon
Print-on-demand T-shirts isn’t a new thing. Amazon released the program in 2015. But what makes Merch by Amazon the best option for on-demand T-shirts is its shopper base and Prime shipping. Once your shirt is live, it will appear in search results. Amazon will print, package and ship the shirt with Prime benefits to members. You don’t have to worry about inventory, shipping, customer service or returns. To start a merch company would typically cost you thousands of dollars and create a large overhead. Merch by Amazon saves you the headache and hassle of printing—not to mention the overhead cost—so you can focus on creating unique artwork.
Tips Getting Started
- Learn how to use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. Doing so will save you time and avoid drawn out conversations with a designer. But if you don’t possess the skills to design artwork on the computer, Fiverr is a great place to find a designer.
- Run Facebook, Google, and Amazon ads to drive traffic to your listings. Figure out what your royalty profit margins are and don’t spend more than that.