How to Use Amazon Buyer-Seller Messages
Sending Amazon Buyer-Seller Messages creates a positive customer experience – and don’t forget – the customer experience is Amazon’s top priority. However, after purchase, the only way you can reach shoppers on Amazon is with Buyer-Seller Messaging.
What are Amazon Buyer-Seller Messages?
The Buyer-Seller Messaging Service lets you communicate with buyers via the buyer-seller messages page. If you have the buyer’s encrypted email address, you can contact a buyer directly from Seller Central.
Amazon’s Terms of Service is clear that all buyer-seller messages must be based on the order status or specific product information. Ideally, you should use Buyer-Seller Messaging to collect needed information to complete an order, or to send other critical messages.
In a nutshell, Amazon states that a message cannot include:
- Any promotions for additional products
- Referrals to third-party products or promotions
- “[Important]” in subject line when it is not necessary to complete an order
- Marketing messaging
- Language that incentivizes positive product reviews
- Language that manipulates seller feedback
- Language that requests removal or update of an existing product review
- More than one request for a product review or seller feedback
- Links that are not necessary to complete the order
- A link to opt-out of messaging
- Logos, if they display or link to your website
- Any content that differs from the contact reason you chose on the Contact Buyer page
- Tracking pixels or images
- Images that do not relate to your brand or company
- Email addresses, telephone numbers, or social media information
- Images of purchased product(s) as Amazon includes those on your behalf
- Emojis or GIFs
- Attachments except for product instructions, warranty information, or invoices
Instead, a message to a buyer should be used to add value to a buyer’s purchase. Enhance the buyer’s shopping experience by going the extra mile with the following messages.
3 Buyer-Seller Messages You Should Start Sending on Amazon
Let’s be clear upfront, sellers may only send one message per order via their seller account. Less is more, so you’ll need to prioritize which need is greater: notifications, feedback, or a review.
1. Ask for Seller Feedback
Seller feedback is a fantastic way to build your reputation on Amazon. Note that seller feedback is not the same thing as product reviews. Not sure what the difference is? Read our full article.
If you’re a reseller, you need seller feedback more than product reviews. For all sellers, the better your seller feedback score, the more likely you are to win the Buy Box.
2. Ask for Product Reviews
Yes, you can ask buyers to write a product review — but you can’t ask for positive reviews. If you’re going to ask for product reviews then you have to ask everyone — for better or for worse.
3. Send Notification Emails for Confirmation, Shipping, and Delivery
Send shipping notification emails! By mitigating returns and negative product reviews and feedback, you’re on your way to a stellar customer experience. You can also attach PDFs to emails using Seller Labs PRO, if you’re looking to send a customer further information.
Amazon sends shipping messages independently, so only send shipping notification emails when necessary.
Sending notification emails is a good idea if you have a perishable product that needs to be opened upon delivery, or if you have multiple child ASINs. For example, if you sell a couch cover in multiple sizes and colors, you’d want to follow up with the buyer immediately to make sure that the buyer purchased exactly what they’re looking for.
The Easy Way to Send Amazon Buyer-Seller Messages
How are you going to have the time to send every buyer an email? You won’t – nobody has the time to personally communicate with all their buyers using the buyer-seller messaging service. Here’s where email automation comes in.
Save Time With Seller Labs PRO
How nice would it be to automatically send every buyer an email after they’ve purchased from you?
Automating your seller communication is the easiest way to send the right message at the right time to everyone who purchases from you on Amazon.
Ashley is an SEO & Digital Marketing Specialist and Founder of Kochans Consulting, also, a self-proclaimed die-hard SEO nerd. When she's not maximizing organic traffic, she's cooking organic meals, practicing yoga, or oil painting.